"Jesus, I trust in you!"

Thursday, February 8, 2007

St. Therese on Valium

How the world doesn't understand what holiness truly is

Like many people, I looked forward to the showing of the film "Therese," a low budget movie about the life of Saint Therese of Lisieux. I was gravely disappointed. I had expected many shortcomings, but not the one that most glared out at me.

The actress played St. Therese as if she were a psych patient dosed heavily on Valium.

Unfortunately, this condition is all too common in sacred drama, though usually not as pronounced as in the film about St.Therese. I wrote this today thinking of a rare good example in ETWN's profile about St. Maria Faustina Kowalska of the Divine Mercy. Nearly all the actors who play Jesus do so as if he were on something (I'm inclined to think weed in Jesus Christ Superstar, my least favorite film about Christ). The same is true during much(though not all) of the film about Joan of Arc.

Apparently, "spaced out" seems otherworldly to them.

As a sufferer of withdrawn type ADD, I can tell you that 'spaced out' is about as far from God as you can be, for God the creator of reality, and to know God is to be fully aware of creation.

What is of God is joy, peace, kindness, but above all a sense of humble reality, what we ironically term "down to earth."

See? Even my usual friend the English language is against me on this one. I would argue for you that what we call "being down to earth" is truly "looking up to heaven."

To know God is to know more fully what we as human beings were meant to be. It is to know all real things in their fullest sense, before the taint of sin that accompanied the original fall. Whatever my soul suffers I offer joyfully that I was made for the true reality of paradise.

3 comments:

j. said...

i have to agree with you. i thought *therese* was overdone with the drama queen-esque sentimentality. i was very disappointed.

Kristin said...

I agree with you. I thought she was portrayed as too saintly even for a saint! I would have liked to have seen a more interior human struggle.

vashsunglasses said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I always saw St. Therese as being an energetic and fun person...

St. Blog's Parish